Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    The Altec automotive stuff was all Sparkomatic, I believe.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #22
    HB Super Moderator
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    The Altec automotive stuff was all Sparkomatic, I believe.
    No it was NOT I have already talked to Bill at GPA and he remembers them making these at the factory when he first started working there.1980-82

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    I don't believe the car stuff to be Barkomatic but then, my opinion on that subject isn't worth a lot....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    No it was NOT I have already talked to Bill at GPA and he remembers them making these at the factory when he first started working there.1980-82
    Well the date alone would indicate Altec, and not Sparkomatic........ the magic date for Sparkomatic was 83, right?

    I didn't know the Voice of the Highway stuff was that early. Did it go to Sparkomatic when they got the home audio business, or did the automotive stuff just not stay in production very long?

    Does the automotive stuff have the 391 EIA code?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #25
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Cliff Henrickson (of MantaRay and Tangerine fame) coined the Voice of the Highway name in 1980. The Model AL1 auto stereo system won Design and Engineering Excellence Award from EIA.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #26
    HB Super Moderator
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    The Al-1 system was hard to find at the time nice subwoofer system with 2 mids & 2 tweets.The early stuff I thought was better it was in production for about 4-5 years then they changed the drivers and cones to carbon fiber and were called ALS something or other and they were in production till 89-90 i think.The date on the brochure is 1982 I had bought 2 pair of the 4A's only able to find 1 pair of the 4B's and I have a pair of SK2's here are the scans.They were some of the best sounding speakers you would want to hear the clarity of even their automotive stuff was awesome the 4B's were capable of 114 db but very clean dbs.

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    The RS ad is a hoot! They suggest listening to the soundtracks from Tommy and 2001. =)
    I know i sure did, but not on those speakers. It was Lafayette stuff for me.

    Somewhere here I have a 1963 Lafayette catalog. Great stuff in there. Sort of the Parts Express of time. I once took the catalog to a little Lafayette Radio store Florida. The old guy there was impressed, but actually has a copy there in the store. Then he pulled out the "prize." A 1938 (IIRC) Lafayette catalog! That was cool. Even had a kit TV in it - late 30s.. I think you could pick up stuff only in New York, off the Empire State building. Sure wish I had a copy of that.

  8. #28
    HB Super Moderator
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Speaking of New York that's where I eventually found them.Back in the day if you wanted to find hard to find gear that's where you went NYC.

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    The RS ad is a hoot! They suggest listening to the soundtracks from Tommy and 2001. =)
    I know i sure did, but not on those speakers. It was Lafayette stuff for me.

    Somewhere here I have a 1963 Lafayette catalog. Great stuff in there.
    Phantom Productions, Inc.'s vintage tape recorder radio catalogs and ads

    http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/laf...amed_1936.html
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #30
    HB Super Moderator
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Cool Catalog's, it's funny looking at the gear back then everything was giant suitcase size boxes.Miniaturization was along way off yet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.